Pages

Thursday, October 18, 2007

Let it Rain, Let it Rain, Let it Rain

I had not noticed just how bad the rain situation is. I avoid the news, and the only time I check the weather is when it looks like it might be "bad." So....I didn't know just how long it had been since it rained. I don't enjoy being out in the rain, so to me, out of sight, out of mind. I knew that we had water restrictions but when was the last summer when we didn't? So...this morning, when my kids got up...they ran back from the kitchen yelling "It's raining! It's raining! Mommy, it's raining!" You would have thought they were talking about snow! Seriously, in the life of a child, a day seems like a week, so to them it has been a lifetime since they saw it raining out the window. Remember when waking up to snow was about the #2 best thing that could happen in your life? *sigh* Just this week, someone told me that there was some town in GA that was completely out of water...which upon researching I discovered that they were 2 weeks away from no water...(huge difference here people, get your facts straight :) That's when I realized it was so bad. Then, when I did bother to check the forecast (not because of the rain, because our air is messing up and I want to know when the fall weather is coming for Pete's sake!)...anyway, when I did check the forecast...what do you know...2 days of rain in the forecast! So, my worrying over the rain for months did not bring it any sooner or later. I missed out on all that stress....and now it is raining. I am sitting here in the same rain as the people who checked their brown plants every day, who worried over the level of the lake for weeks, and who got out in the middle of the night to water their grass for months. I am happy that we are getting rain today, don't get me wrong. I think it is great. So do my kids. But what I am more worried about is this: are we going to sweat in the halloween costumes or what? Where is the chilly air and the frost!??? My air conditioner unit and I WANT TO KNOW!

2 comments:

Corey said...

I remember on that last blizzard we had (92 or 93, something like that) that my brothers and I stayed up late running around like idiots in the snow because we knew the school would be closed. We also put on motorcycle helmets and ran around pretending that we were in X-wings or something and the snow that was billowing by us were stars. Then one of my brothers tried to "jump to light speed" and fell down the hill.

So yeah, I guess I said all of that just to establish the point that I was a dork even when I was a kid. Aren't you glad you married me?

Andysbethy said...

They have been complaining about a drought down here in S. GA too. It is really hard for me to believe though, because I feel like it has rained almost the entire 8 weeks I have lived here. I guess I brought the rain with me, because it certainly does not feel like a drought to me.
There are a ton of frogs in the empty lot behind me, because it has so much standing water in it. We caught one today, and the boys wanted to keep it. I didn't think the life of luxery (read that "torture") that they could provide to it was the best option, so we let it go. Talk about some heartbreak... that frog was sorely missed for an entire 5 minutes.
Anyway... I say more rain, more cool weather, bring on the Autumn!