Pages

Friday, November 2, 2007

The Voice in the Attic!

Isn't it funny how kids view the world? When I was little I remember being so fascinated by the speakers of the stereo. It was so above my level of comprehension the way a stereo worked...I really and truly pictured tiny people playing tiny instruments in there. How else would that music be coming out of there? I guess now that I think about it, that must be one of my earliest memories...I thought I had no memory before like 5th grade, but there are vague remembrances.
We took our daughter to Fuddruckers for a late birthday dinner Sunday night. The idea was to go somewhere they would make a big deal and sing to her and all that. She always gets a thrill when that happens to other people when we are eating. So...we talked to the people and they said they would see what they could do. The manager comes over and says that he doesn't understand, but his people just don't know the birthday song (?!?!?!?!?) and they don't sing there. But he is going to work out something special. (I have to ask: who is the manager here can he not require his workers to sing for birthdays and just what country did these waiters and waitresses grow up in that they don't *know* the birthday song?!?!?!) Anyway...long story short which includes us ordering a brownie blast bc we didn't think we would get anything free, hoping that if we buy, they will sing...the manager brings over a big ice cream sundae with a cookie for Katie. She is thrilled. Then, right after, he announces over the intercom: "We would like to wish a very happy birthday to Katie who is 5 years old today!" and everyone claps etc.
And now to where I bring it back around to the subject of the post. Katie was sharing with her Meme later about the fun and relayed the memory as this: "The voice in the attic said happy birthday Katie!"
The things we just don't think about having to explain. I don't remember when I didn't know that voices "in the attic" were real people talking in a speaker. I do, however, remember when I thought that there was such a thing as people who could fly. Ask my husband when he found out that Epcot wasn't all "in the big ball!" lol.

1 comment:

Andysbethy said...

I love the "voice in the attic" comment. I still don't really understand how sound gets to the speaker, or to the tv, or the radio for that matter! I just trust in technology. Hopefully I will never be stranded on a deserted island and have to bring about civilization. I would be really lucky to make fire!
We got Katie's thank you note today - it was adorable. They grow up so fast!