Pages

Tuesday, July 23, 2013

The Longest Day

Today may have been one of the longest days of my life! HA!

Two things: I started the Advocare 24 Day Challege, and decided also to begin potty training Ruby in earnest.

First up: the 24 Day Challenge.  I've been wanting to do this for months, but since Ruby was still nursing I had to keep putting it off.  So, finally, the time has arrived!

My eating has gotten utterly and completely out of control.  I would blame stress and that might be a lot of it, but part of it is also just me being indulgent and careless.  I haven't ballooned out of all my clothing, but it definitely is far above and beyond where I want to be.  Corey and I both dropped tons of weight at the beginning of the year when we were strictly eating Paleo, and I LOVED how I felt.  It's just been one thing after another getting in the way of being strict with it again.  So, I wanted to do this challenge as a jump start back into healthy eating.

It starts with a 10 day cleanse phase, then followed by a two week supplement and diet regime.
Today was day one.
I had my fiber herbal cleanse drink first thing, and let me say it was DISGUSTING!

haha.  Seriously, I was trying to chug it during our first potty session this morning (more on that later), and couldn't drink it fast enough so it started getting really thick, so I had to add more water and then it took even LONGER to get rid of! BUUUUUT I am sure it will be worth it!  The idea is that you cleanse and clean out first to get ready for maximum absorption during the second phase.  Makes sense.  I have never done any type of cleanse before, so we will see how it goes.  I only have two more days of this particular drink in the morning then I get a break for a few days before I do it again.

This cleanse includes just a very clean eating and portion controlled diet with it.  So after my drink I had two eggs with a piece of toast and a banana.  After all that, I was completely STUFFED.  SO FULL!!!!! So by lunch I wasn't the least bit hungry.  I drank a Spark (vitamin/energy drink with the plan) while everyone ate. then around 1:30 ate my lunch of a salad with greens, tomatoes, carrots, some turkey, and pecans sprinkled on top.  I drizzled a tiny bit of olive oil and balsamic vinegar on for dressing.

I knew the afternoon would be my weak spot.  I was suddenly starving!  I had some banana chips, almonds, and frozen blueberries for a snack.  And held out with a glass of water before dinner. I took my Omega plex supplements about 15 minutes before dinner.

Dinner was yummy! Pintos, sauteed kale, a baked sweet potato, and tomatoes with light olive oil and basil.  Then about an hour and a half after dinner I was feeling the serious sugar and carb withdrawals.  Shakiness and sweaty.  The food change combined with the events of the day (potty training!) had me completely spent as far as energy!  I thought I wasn't going to make it! ha ha!
Around 9 I enjoyed a coconut Lara Bar.  Mmmmmm........

So I think that puts me over on snacks today, but I know it will get easier after these cravings stop!
A little bit ago I had a swallow of apple juice.  Going cold turkey is just so hard! But I think I did pretty well!
I am excited to see my results after the first two days.  I think I will do a weight check on Wednesday morning. Later, right before bed I have a probiotic something or other to take, another part of the cleanse. I already dread that fiber drink the morning.  But I LOVE eggs, so that will be my reward for making it through!

Now, for the other big thing going on all day which made my day seem never ending!

Ruby has been interested in the potty for a long time.  She actually went a couple of days back in January or February and used a little potty several times.  But then the fun wore off.
To be honest, I wasn't looking forward to potty training AT ALL.  I hate using public restrooms with toddlers, and also having to stop the car to find potties when out and about. So I put it off as long as I thought I could/should.  On the other hand, I didn't want to wait TOO long, till the fascination with prizes and praise wore off.  After a very busy week of VBS last week, I decided this week would be a good time to spend every day at home, rest, and give it a try.

I started by gathering a basket of "prizes."  We have already been giving a tiny marshmallow over the past few months when she would randomly say "potty" and actually go, so I wanted something different.  I got a pack of pipsqeak markers (opened so she could pick one at a time) because she LOVES drawing.  Also got a pack of the party favor size play doh.  She's never really played with play doh, so I thought that would be fun.  Some teeny stamps from the $1 spot at Target, some bracelets, kazoos, and that's about it.

Put panties on her first thing and she wouldn't pee in the potty, and had two accidents back to back.  Then I discover that I only have four of the six pair of training underwear I bought! So I'm already washing because I'm going to run out of them! Then I get the idea to start giving her a sticker every time she is DRY when the timer on my phone goes off.  Either it worked or she just got the hang of it, but she then stayed dry for a LONG time.  She would get a sticker, and we would go sit on the potty.  Then it progressed to, she would use the potty, then I would set a timer for 6 minutes, give a sticker for being dry, set a timer for 5 minutes, get a sticker for being dry, then I would get her on the potty and she would go.  If not, the timer would get shorter until she actually used the potty.  And when she went on the potty she got a prize from the basket.  She chose markers at first and loved drawing in between potty trips, but after that first play doh was opened, she was HOOKED!  She LOVED it.  So we basically played play doh ALL DAY LONG while checking and stickering and pottying EVERY THREE to SIX minutes all day long! Did I say this went on ALL DAY LONG?  Our last timer went off sometime between 9 and 9:30 and we were in the bed at 10! I put that diaper on with a big sigh of relief at 9:45 ish!

And on a very Ruby hilarious note, she was very dramatic during those 15 minutes! She rolled around all over the floor and squirming around everywhere saying VERY loudly, "MY BUUUUUUUUP" (My butt!), "My BUP MYYYY BUUUUUP!"
No idea what was the problem.  I checked and made sure her diaper wasn't off kilter or too tight, I guess she just didn't like the way it felt after having on soft undies all day! ha ha.

But, right before nap time she told ME that she needed to potty and went! So I really think it's going to come along just fine! I have no interest in forcing her to do this, but I do think the time might be just right.  She hasn't quite reached that "well, I've already GOT a prize to play with so I don't need any more" stage of not caring whether she goes anymore that day.  I believe we hit that stride at one point with Katie, ha ha.

Let's hope day two goes easier for both scenarios tomorrow!

No comments: