Pages

Thursday, October 10, 2013

October Busy-ness!

The sensory box for August stretched into September.  When I made it "apple" themed I was still thinking about starting school in September.  ANYWAY, she was way bored with that box for several weeks so we were long overdue in making a new sensory box for October.

We've been so busy that I haven't even had the chance to go to the dollar store to pick up little things for this month's box, but lucky for us, all of these items were scavenged from family members! ha ha! 

Here's a view of the busy/sensory box for October!


Nanna had all the little play things...the two scarecrows, the little plastic spiders, and the fall color flower wreaths!  I had thought in the back of my mind that I would do popcorn kernals or dried corn for the scooping play, but look what turned out!




SHE LOVES this thing!


 For scooping, for some crazy reason I had the thought to use bird seed.  We were able to get an AMPLE supply from Memaw and Granddaddy, and it turned out to be even more perfect because it was all black sunflower seeds!  Pretty cool to go with the "bone guys" and the scarecrows!

Now I can use another variety of birdseed another month for a different feel.  She likes digging for the "te-shures" which are the little sticks and rocks/bark that are mixed into the birdseed.

The best part about the bird seed is that we will be able to throw it and toss it outside or put it in a bird-feeder when she is done playing with it!  The lentils and split peas were more difficult with last month's box.  She had (of course) dumped some larger portions of them out several times.  So, in sweeping it up, various kitchen floor debris had gotten in the mix, so no good for eating. I didn't want to throw it in the trash, so I ended up putting it away in plastic baggies to use again later.  I don't think it would be a good idea to just throw lentils outside would it?  Would birds eat it?  Would that even be safe?!
The green and tan colored lentils and peas will probably reappear in our March box.

I am so excited that she has another "new" thing to occupy her for a while!

No comments: