Pages

Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Caution: Road Work

I saw something quite funny the other day. It was annoying, ridiculous, laughable, and just plain silly all at the same time.

I was travelling to my Tuesday morning Mom's Bible study in Adairsville. While heading down Main Street ( a whole 3-4 blocks!) I saw signs warning me that I would soon approach some ever dreaded "road work." I sighed, seeing that I was already going to barely make it to the study on time, and prepared myself to wait. What I soon saw simply produced a chuckle and an eye-roll.

Standing in the road was the typical "guy with the stop/slow sign", "guy standing around the 12-14 orange cones," "other guy with the stop/slow sign in the opposite direction", "various guys standing around looking around as though about to do something important (I would estimate...eh...6-7 of these this particular go round), and then....*ta-da* the ONE guy actually doing something. And for once, I didn't feel sorry for him. Usually "said guy doing the work" is actually doing something...jackhammering, in a hole doing something mysterious, etc. I have to say this is the one time I was completely in awe and confusion as to what this guy was doing.

He had a paint roller in his hand, painting lines on the road. BY HAND!

This was not a paint rolling "tool." It was nothing electric, motor driven, fancy, or anything like that. It was a simple pain roller...and he was YES HE WAS applying yellow lines of paint to the road BY HAND! I was relieved that he had so many people watching his back...you never can be too careful painting. Especially with all the traffic headed to those 4 places downtown in Adairsville on Tuesdays at 9:30am.

I just don't know what else to say about this, except to share it with you. If you happen to attend the Locomotive Festival in Adairsville, check out the nice lines painted on the road....only in Adairsville will you find custom handpainted double yellow lines. What a unique town (in SO many ways...ask me about getting water around here another time!)

1 comment:

Corey said...

Adairsville is not known for its efficiency...