Pages

Monday, August 18, 2008

Weekends.....

We took advantage of a very good promo this weekend and took the kids to Medieval Times. For those of you who live in Georgia and didn't know that there is one here....hey...there's one here! It is at Discover Mills in Lawrenceville. They have a great promo going on right now that with every paying adult you get a FREE child/teen admission! So, that saved us $70! It is going on at all locations through the end of this month, so if you have kids, now would be a great time to go! Especially good if your child is a picky eater and you know they aren't going to eat the massive feast you get with the show! Noah managed to eat his bread, daddy's bread, and his apple pie dessert (which is actually unusual for him to eat an apple pie). Katie, however, LOVED the food and ate as long as they would leave the plate! ha! I opted for the vegetarian meal..just out of curiosity and for the fact that eating that much meat (a half chicken and ribs) is just too much for me! I have to say that I think you actually get MORE food with the vegetarian option! I had a stuffed portobello mushroom cap, a big skewer of vegetables, and hummus spread with pita chips. It was delicious! the mushroom was stuffed with rice, beans, dried cranberries, and was seasoned really well. The veggies were huge chunks of peppers, onions, zucchini, and roasted potatoes. The hummus was mildly seasoned so it went well with the rest of the food. I think I will always check on the veggie options when I do a show like this. Oh, you also got a bowl of "tomato bisque" (vegetable soup) and drinks of course. No one got silverware to keep with the "medieval" theme, but my veggie meal came on a separate platter which did include a fork, so that was helpful! :)
Anyway, the show was fun. Noah said at the beginning he was bored, but once the "fighting" got started he was glued! They had some little games, a "falconer" that did a short little thing,and some dancing horses, which I guess took up the time while they were serving food. But after that it was pretty intense! They had some pretty good choreographed "combat" which Noah thought was great. Katie got a little emotionally involved and when our knight was "defeated" (to the death) she almost was about to cry and I had to explain that it was just a show and pretend and all that. They brought them all out at the end so she saw he wasn't really defeated so much!
It was fun. Each section of the arena was a different colored theme so you are cheering on "your" knight throughout the tournament. All the knights on your side of the arena are allies so you can cheer for someone right to the end. I didn't take a lot of pictures because watching the show and helping Katie with her food took up a lot of time, plus we had our flags to wave when our knight was competing! Here are the few I took, plus some from a photo session this morning while Katie dressed up with her princess outfit with the tiara she got last night at the show.
Overall...it was fun. It was worth it since we didn't have to pay for the kids (I would hate to pay $35 for Noah when he didn't touch his food!), and we will probably do it again one day. >

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW thanks for sharing! We're on the southside (Griffin-Jackson) & had NO IDEA there was one in GA.

Love your blog!

Marcy said...

I love Medieval Times! Discover Mills is one of my favorite places to go; there's so much stuff there to do! We have been twice (to Medieval Times, we are at DM all the time!). We didn't wait long enough before we went the second time, so we basically saw the same show again. I heard from my neighbor that they changed the show, so I don't know how often they change it. I love the food - minus the barbecued rib, which I always give to Scott. Cute pics! I am so glad that you liked it!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you all had a great time. Thanks for sharing it with us.
Blessings

Andysbethy said...

I realized that I never left a comment on this post, so just felt the need to say, well, something. We already talked about the whole thing on the phone, but for some reason, I have to read the blog too, and feel the need to leave a comment on top of that. I may be your stalker friend!!!
Wish we could have come with you... maybe next time.