Pages

Monday, February 2, 2009

Growing, Growing, Gone!

Just a "seize the day" post for today. It amazes me how incredibly fast babies...kids....children....grow! All of a sudden Noah's pants are barely snapping and just *barely* long enough. (We are trying to hold out with these until warm weather and we can just go on to shorts!). I have a growth chart in our classroom that I started marking at the beginning of school '07. They have both grown several inches since that day...a lot during the summer!
It makes me so happy to be a part of their daily lives. To be involved in the little things and the big things. To see them learn and remember. To watch them be best friends.
I recently had the pleasure of typing up an "autobiography" of sorts that my Pawpaw wrote out. He had a fantastic quote at the end that was really fun to type up especially with our big trip coming up this weekend. Here's what he had to say ( I typed it the way he wrote it on the paper, he is 78 and my Granny is 79)

"We are old and decrepit. Our joints ache. Geraldine had a stroke and has blacking out spells. We waited too long to go places and enjoy things.
SO!!
I say to you go to church and live right. And go places before you are too old to enjoy life's good pleasures.
That's that. That's all folks!!!"

That ending is so typical of his personality ha ha! They are a great couple and the entire story was fascinating to read...his journey growing up and theirs together. If you haven't had a grandparent do this, you really should think about it. If they can't write it out, get a video camera and set it up and just ask them questions. My kids are growing SO fast, that it is just a great reminder to seize every day and mark those memories! We look forward to making some great ones this coming week...how about you?!

4 comments:

Andysbethy said...

What a great reminder - seize the day!
I wish I had more video of my grandma - more of her words. I am SOOOO glad that I saved letters. At the time they were just little bits of nothing, but now they are so wonderful, just to see her handwriting, and get her little bits of wisdom that she stuck everywhere.
At times it seems unrealistic, but seriously, save as much as you can! It will be so good to have later.
"That's all folks" - what a great line!

Anonymous said...

AMEN!

Karen said...

Treasure those moments with the kids because you will turn around one day and they will be grown. Likewise, treasure those moments with your Granny and Pawpaw....I look back on the recordings and books we made with Little Granddaddy and discover something new each time that really speaks to me about the type of man he was and inspires me to have a closer walk with the Lord.

You need to post your Blessed Aroma award, girl! I am so proud of you and Bethany, both....two of my favorite bloggers!

Anonymous said...

Amen!!! I received a few pics today from a cousin. We were emailing back and forth about the memories that they brought to mind. There were a couple of you and Chris when you were both little. It flooded my mind with memories of you two. I miss those days. It seems like only yesterday.
oh yea, your Paw-Paw turned 79 in January.
I can so see him saying that with a big smile on his face.

Mom