Pages

Friday, April 17, 2009

Birthday Countdown: Day Seventeen

Our four year old (4 years, 5 months at the time) reading a (not memorized) book to his daddy.

Erin asked: "What do you like best about homeschooling?"

Wow. This could really be a long involved answer. I guess the short answer is that it allows us to be a family.

The long answer:
I so love being able to see my children grow up in front of me. It is a special calling for me to be their teacher. I believe it is the way God designed the family...as a working unit, to grow together and learn and be taught from the family's perspective. I have a responsibility for my children...in every sense (physically, emotionally, spiritually) and I feel that if I am to be responsible for those aspects, then I have to TAKE responsibility for those aspects of their lives.
Another part of it that may seem selfish to some... is that I just want to be with my kids. I mean, I birthed them for goodness sake... I don't want to send them off for eight hours every day to let some other person spend FORTY hours a week with them!!!! I love my kids, and I just enjoy them. I want to be with them. I want to have the privilege of teaching them the important things, the silly things, and the fun things in life.

It is pretty much impossible to share your reasons/loves for homeschooling without sounding like you are saying that others who don't choose to homeschool are wrong. I am not saying that at all. If you don't want to homeschool, then you truly shouldn't!

Why should I choose whole class instruction over private tutoring? Homeschooling allows me to create customized, individualized, efficient instruction based on my childrens' interests and in a loving, safe, disciplined environment. I could go on and on, but I won't.

And, just for everyone's peace of mind and enjoyment, I found a great article about the benefits of homeschooling, specifically, the *socialization* "issue."

Enjoy! Thanks for the question, Erin. I love absolutely everything about homeschooling!!!!


Tomorrow I will answer PJ's question: How do you want your kids to finish this statement when they get older:"my momma always said..."

1 comment:

Karen said...

I think that's wonderful...I know Corey agrees with you 100%!